|XP For Kill||6 XP|
|PC Release Date||June 2, 2015|
|Xbox Release Date||December 16, 2015|
|Saddle||Ankylo Saddle (lvl 40)|
|Incubation Range||16 - 20 °C / 61 - 68 °F|
|Incubation Time||2h 37m 52s|
|Baby Stage Time||4h 52m 23s|
Unlike many of the herd animals on the island, Ankylosaurus Crassacutts tends to live in small family units. I believe they can afford to stick with smaller groups because of their incredibly thick skin, for which they're named.
Reckless carnivores are just as likely to hurt themselves on Ankylosaurus' spikes as they are to get hit by its tail.
Despite not being the among the largest of the island's herbivores, the Ankylosaurus is one of the more difficult creatures to take down. It's thick, armored skin seems to make it more than a match for several of the mid-sized predators that would otherwise hunt it.
Without a doubt, the best trait of a trained Ankylosaurus is its enormously dense tail. This tail is powerful enough to shatter the resource-laden rocks of the island. One of the wealthier human tribes on The Island utilizes a squad of Ankylosaurus in its mines and quarries.
— The Dossier
The Ankylosaurus or Ankylo (Ayn-kai-low-sawr-us) is a versatile medium sized herbivorous dinosaur found on the Ark.
Ankylosaurus are a species of large, quadrupedal herbivore on the island. About 10–15 feet (3-4.6 meters) in length, an estimated 4 feet (1.2 meters) in height, and roughly 3-4 tons in weight they are pure bone armor tanks. Being low to the ground, covered with scutes & spikes while donning a large mace-like tail make the Ankylo a formidable opponent and valuable companion. Body color usually ranges from browns to greys with splashes of bright color on certain individuals.
Ankylosaurus are peaceful unless disturbed and will defend their herds aggressively. Ankylo can be found at any elevation and are usually in the northern half of the island traveling in small herds of 2-6 individuals. Solitary Ankylo are not uncommon as well. When attacking, Ankylo will thrash their tail and ram you with the large spikes protruding from its back. Ranged battle is advised. They are normaly slow over land, but they are adept swimmers.
Ankylosaurus can be tamed like most other herbivores, utilizing Narcoberries/Narcotics and Mejoberries. Ankylosaurus can be ridden, with the saddle being unlocked at level 40 and is crafted in the Smithy.
- To perform the quick batch attack, you must have your camera faced in approximately in the same direction as they Ankylosaurus is, else it will perform the slow tail whip.
- Its spiky armor is actually the fused bones of its skull all the way to the clubbed tail.
- Ankylosaurus armor is coated with a thin layer of Keratin.
- Can be picked up by a Quetzalcoatlus and when mounted by another player can harvest while picked up.
- While the Ankylosaurus is not fast in water or on land, it can carry a substantial amount of weight, making it useful for mining metal and flint above ground.
Trivia not relevant for the game
- Ankylosaurus means "Fused Lizard".
- The real world Ankylosaurus magniventris had much more smoothed armor than that of the Ankylosaurus depicted in the game, with the only prominent spikes being located around the head. The Ankylosaurus shown in ARK seems to more closely resemble Euoplocephalus tutus, a closely related dinosaur with a much more spiky appearance.
- ARK's Ankylosaurus, at 6 meters long and weighing between 3-4 tons, is on the small end of the real-world Ankylosaurus which was between 6-8 meters in length and weighed between 5.3-8.8 tons.