|Time||Mid Pleistocene/Early Holocene|
|XP For Kill||4 XP|
|PC Release Date||April 20, 2016 (v239.0)|
|Xbox Release Date||May 17, 2016 (v734.0)|
|Favorite Kibble||Kibble (Carno Egg)|
|Saddle||Direbear Saddle (lvl 35)|
|Gestation Time||3h 58m 5s|
|Baby Stage Time||4h 37m 46s|
Found primarily among the island's mountain and tundra regions, Arctodus Dirus is an imposing creature. Like most of the creatures that inhabit the island's colder areas, It is a mammal, and this particular mammal is either at or near the top of that region's food chain.
Many on the island have started calling it a Direbear, A name which is appropriate both due to its enormity and its territorial nature. The Direbear ignores most non-hostile creatures while going about its daily routine of scavenging for meat and edible plantlife......That is, until intruders enter the territory it considers its own, at which point it viciously attacks. Most often, it is smartest to just run away from an angry Direbear.
Once tamed, the Direbear is a strong and reliable mount. It can carry vast quantities of goods, and can sprint for extremely long, nearly infinite periods. It is not the fastest creature from a hard stop, but after building up momentum, its sustained overland speed builds to among the best on the island. Of course, being able to feed a Direbear both meat and plantlife makes keeping one fairly convenient regardless of the environment.
— The Dossier
The Arctodus, more commonly known as the Dire Bear or Direbear, is a medium sized omnivorous mammal found on the Ark.
The Direbear is never a welcome sight for survivors in the frozen regions of the ARK. Resembling a grizzly bear in appearance, the Direbear is distinguishable by its shorter snout, earning it the nickname "Short-Faced Bear". Like other bears, they are capable of standing on their hind legs, but only to intimidate those that enter its territory. The beast is also surprisingly swift for its hulking build.
The Direbear is an omnivore, meaning it can eat both berries and meat. It is very territorial and will attack if not given enough space. It possesses a charging mechanic similar to that of the Pachy or Woolly Rhino. It can maneuver at high speeds, and takes a while to actually lose stamina by a significant amount. It possesses a secondary swipe attack that can be used to gather berries and pluck out meat from its target. This swipe additionally does more damage than normal, but stops movement. The Direbear can also stand on its hind legs (crouching, default C).
- The dossier was revealed on November 2, 2015.
- The Direbear is from the genus Arctodus, which are a group of short-faced bears. Arctodus contained species of short-faced bears that are considered to be one of the biggest known terrestrial mammalian carnivores.
- Arctodus stood about six feet tall on four legs, and twelve feet on its hind legs, which were long and thin, making it the fastest genus of bear.
- Arctodus was once nicknamed the Running Bear, as its long legs enabled it to run vast distances.
- Although that the dossier says it is primarily found in mountains and tundras, the Direbear seems to be more commonly found around southern rivers.
- The Direbear can get into, but not out of, the Central Cave unless a small foundation-and-ramp structure is built.
- The "crouch" key will make the Direbear stand up on its hind legs temporarily but this does not appear to be an attack yet.