|Common Name||Dire Wolf|
|PC Release Date||September 28, 2015 (v216.0)|
|Saddle||No Saddle Needed|
|Gestation Time||4h 10m 37s|
|Baby Stage Time||4h 52m 23s|
The best adjective to describe Canis Maxdirus is "scary". This pack-hunter is a cunning and brutal predator, capable of taking down prey of nearly any size. In addition to being a vicious hunter, it is the size of a small horse, meaning even the largest predators aren't necessarily safe from the packs.
Unlike most creatures on the island, Canis is a dedicated pack hunter, and rarely hunts alone. In fact, Canis is naturally as effective with its packmates as most creatures are when their mate is in danger--when in a pack, they are naturally spurred to fight for their lives. Furthermore, when in a pack, the most experienced Canis will be designated "Alpha" and gain an even stronger enhancement.
The species has an incredible affinity for teamwork.
Obviously, Canis is an amazing battle mount. It is fairly fast, very strong, and agile. It can jump almost as well as the Island's battle cats. Riding a supercharged "Alpha" Canis into battle at the head of a bloodthirsty pack is a thrill for which most warriors would gladly proclaim: "Today is a good day to die!"
— The Dossier
The Canis, more commonly known as the Dire Wolf or Direwolf, is a large carnivorous mammal found on the Ark.
The Dire wolf is the ancestor of the modern wolf. It is adapted to the dangerous environment of the Ark, therefore making it a very large species. The Dire wolf ranges anywhere from white to black, with mixed grays and blacks. The Dire wolf is large and muscular.
Dire wolves are large pack animals. If you see a dire wolf on its own, be sure to scan the area for the rest of its pack unless you want to become their prey. Being carnivorous pack animals, dire wolves will likely attack on sight, so caution is advised. However, they do have the capability of being tamed, and are extremely loyal mounts once they are.
Direwolves are INSANELY fast and have extremely fast and long lasting leaps and are really good scouts and battle mounts.
- The dossier was revealed on August 4th, 2015.
- The dossier mentions an "Alpha Wolf". Unlike the Allosaurus, this feature is not yet available for the Direwolf.
- The dossier states that "It can jump almost as well as the Island's battle cats".
- Dire Wolves appear to take less fall damage than their Sabertooth counterparts, and they can fall from a greater height before sustaining fall damage at all.
- Unlike the Gigantopithecus, Dire Wolves cannot equip armor, giving it a disadvantage in comparison to other rideable creatures that benefit from additional armor.
- Pressing alt-fire (default right mousebutton) will make the wolf howl, making it easy to find home when you are lost and have a tribe.
- The Dire Wolf attack is very fast and can be devastating to prey and enemies. This makes the Dire Wolf a very powerful mount.
- In an interview, the developers said they may consider adding a saddle or some type of armor for the Dire wolf.
- In the dossier there is a typo underneath Domesticated saying "battle cats cats"
- Dire Wolves are the main danger of the Snow Cave, spawning at extremely high levels, sometimes up to 340.
- Dire Wolves are in Scorched Earth.
Trivia not relevant for the game
- Real Dire Wolves were actually just bulkier and stronger versions of modern-day gray wolves, and would not have made very good mounts.