|XP For Kill||0.5 XP|
|Incubation Range||22 - 30 °C / 72 - 86 °F|
|Incubation Time||49m 59s|
|Baby Stage Time||1h 32m 35s|
Raphus Replicare (more commonly known as the Dodo Bird) is quite possibly the dumbest creature I've ever seen in my life. It wanders around the beaches of the island, eating berries off bushes, and being eaten by all manner of carnivore. Without the Dodo, the entire island's food chain would disintegrate.
This sub-species of the Dodo has developed an unbelievably clever way to sustain itself: they mate constantly. I'm fairly convinced they reach full maturity within a week of being born. This is the only trait keeping them populous on the island.
There is almost no reason to domesticate a Raphus Replicare. It cannot carry enough to be a beast of burden, it does not provide much food, and it’s too stupid to show companionship. I suppose it could work as a last-ditch food source, though.
— The Dossier
The Raphus or Dodo is a small herbivorous bird found on the Ark.
A flightless species of pigeon, the dodo is easily identifiable by its large beak and stout body. Dodos vary in many colors.
- Main article: Zomdodo
The Zomdodo is a zombiefied version of the dodo with pieces of flesh missing.
- Main article: BunnyDodo
The BunnyDodo is an Easter version of the dodo with bunny ears.
Color Scheme and Regions
Region 0: Body
Region 1: Face
Region 2: Beak
Region 3: Forehead, Neck, and Feet
Region 4: Head
Region 5: Wings and Patterning
Dodos aimlessly waddle about the beaches, hills and forests of the island, moving with little speed. When a Dodo is attacked, it will not fight back. Instead, it and any nearby Dodos will attempt to flee, although their slow movement speed usually makes them easy prey. Anything from a cluster of Compies to a single Spino will attack it and win unanimously. If the player takes an egg from a wild Dodo, however, it will attack. Dodos will also occasionally get stuck on driftwood on beaches.
They are among the weakest of all the creatures and are a reliable source of food in the beginning stages of the game. Slow moving and low damage attacks, makes them an easy to kill creature. Dodos are herbivores, their preferred berry are Amarberries (confirmed by both official pages and groups of Players on Steam).
Taming can take between 10-30 minutes. Dodo's usually have a very low torpor which makes them annoying to both knock unconscious (players will usually kill one by accident with melee attacks) and tame. It is suggested to have at least a half stack (50) of Narcoberries to keep its torpor up, and a full stack (100) of Amarberries. The amount varies on level of Dodo being, and we suggest you have more Narcoberries on hand.
Players have been seen to use Dodo's as both egg farms and meat farms.
Developers have been updating two things: Only females will lay eggs; Eggs do not currently hatch anything. Females can currently produce eggs without males/mates nearby, unsure if that will be changed later as we see updates continuously roll out.
Eggs are a good food source, though currently at this time eggs are unable to be hatched. Rumored that other dinosaur eggs may be given to Dodo's for them to hatch, though unconfirmed. They are, however, able to hold eggs like other dinosaurs. Dodo Eggs are the main ingredient in the preferred kibble of the Ichthyosaurus, Pteranodon, and Mesopithecus.
Commonly found along shorelines and waterfronts.
- The dossier for the Dodo makes the mistake of naming the species as "Raphus lazarus" under the Domesticated section.
- Their walking speed is terrible which makes it hard to move them around, most of them can't even outrun player with only 100% speed. However, they have a decent swim speed which can be used to cover larger distances quicker.
- Since the v241.0, The best way to move them is to pick them up in your hands and toss them, but you can't hold a tool or weapons while doing so.
- In ARK: Fear Evolved, there is a zombie variant of the dodo that spawn near the DodoRex. This zombie version is more aggressive and will attack the player.
- Dodos serve as a secondary mascot of game (after more popular Raptors) and appear on artwork and holiday events (most prominent ex: DodoRex)
- The Dodo is a vector of the Swamp Fever.
Trivia not relevant for the game
- In the dossier it says they are oblivious, but in real life, the island they lived on, Mauritius (found in the Indian Ocean), had no natural predators so they didn't know how to react to a hunter hence resulting in their death due to various factors : overhunting by the first Dutch settlers, pests like rats, which were accidentally brought on the Island by the first Dutch, would destroy the single egg laid and natural hazards also contributed to their downfall from one of the once most abundant animals to an extinct species.
ARK: Fear Evolved