|XP For Kill||12 XP|
|PC Release Date||April 2, 2016 (v238.0)|
|Xbox Release Date||April 7, 2016 (v733.0)|
|Favorite Kibble||Kibble (Titanoboa Egg)|
|Saddle||Dunkleosteus Saddle (lvl 40)|
Dunkleostus Loricaruptor is a very strange creature. It is a fairly large fish, covered head to tail in armored plates, with incredibly powerful jaws. It tends to eat the islands' water-dwelling crustaceans, as it not fast enough to catch most of the smaller fish.
Dunkleosteus is a surprisingly combat-oriented for a fish. Its well-armored body protects it from many creatures, while its bite is strong enough to easily crush through chitinous shells.
Dunkleosteus is an incredibly useful fish for coastal communities. Its powerful jaws make short work of the stone and oil formations found throughout the oceanic depths. While harvesting, Dunkleosteus can handily defend its rider from all but the largest threats in the waters. And once past its prime, the Dunkleosteus can be harvested for a fair amount of Chitin.
— The Dossier
The Dunkleosteus (Dunk-lee-ahh-stee-us) is a medium sized carnivorous fish found in the oceans of the Ark.
The Dunkleosteus is a large fish found in the ARK's oceans. While its body's physique is similar to that of a standard fish with an eel-like tail, its head makes the beast very distinct. The Dunkleosteus's head is totally armoured, except for the eyes. Where most animals have teeth, massive jagged plates of bone exist in its mouth to crush the shells and bones of its prey. These teeth are used by the creature to crush rocks and oil nodes. The Dunkleosteus is slightly larger than a Megalodon, another predator that cruises the same waters.
The Dunkleosteus is a slow, cumbersome fish that slowly wanders the depths of the ocean. It will not deter from its path to attack players, but if it is hurt by any creature (players included) or a player gets too close, it will attack without mercy. If the attacker can hold its position, the Dunkleosteus will flee.
- The dossier was revealed on July 10, 2015.
Trivia not relevant for the game
- The idea that they give lots of chitin, as stated in the dossier, is quite strange; given that chitin is a material primarily used by invertebrates such as arthropods. The armor of Dunkleosteus is bony, and any scales it may have had would have probably been based on dentine or a dentine-like material, like many other fish classes.
- Dunkleosteus had one of the strongest bite forces of any living creature. Its bite was stronger than a crocodile or a modern great white shark.
- Despite appearances, Dunkleosteus has no true 'teeth' to speak of. The blades seen within its mouth are actually extensions of the jawbone that are sharpened by grinding against one another.
- Its name means, approximately: "Dunkle's Boned armor breaker" (in honor of David Dunkle; osteus, greek for bone; lorica, latin for (chest-)armor, ruptor, latin for breaker).