|XP For Kill||0.50 XP|
|Incubation Range||22 - 30 °C / 72 - 86 °F|
|Incubation Time||1h 30m 54s|
|Baby Stage Time||2h 48m 21s|
Kairuku Waitaki is an amazingly docile and friendly creature, to everything but fish. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how Kairuku manages to stay populated across the island's colder climes, with the many predators stalking these frozen lands.
It is weak and has only one small defensive trait: Suspended in Kairuku blubber are small, dense particles that act as a light form of armor.
Adding to Kairuku's problems, a clever survivor discovered that refining Kairuku blubber (Concentrating the particles in it) can yield a natural form of the same polymer utilized in advanced tribes' manufacturing processes. This has caused many tribes to hunt Kairuku extensively, a practice colloquially known as "Kairu Clubbing.
There is no reason to tame Kairuku for combat, since they are useless in a fight. Still, Kairuku are regularly tamed for their cuteness and friendly nature, and the fact that their bodies run extremely hot. Just standing near Kairuku can help keep a survivor stay warm through long, harsh nights on the icebergs.
— The Dossier
The Kairuku is a small carnivorous (piscivorous) bird found on the Ark.
Resembles a typical penguin in all aspects save for their long, pointed beak. Although clumsy and sluggish on land, they are excellent swimmers.
Color Scheme and Regions
Region 0: Back and Markings
Region 1: Beak
Region 2: Feet
Region 3: None
Region 3 is not used for this creature.
Region 4: Osteoderms
Region 5: None
Region 5 is not used for this creature.
The Kairuku can be found on the mainland of the northwestern part of the island, or swimming in the waters surrounding them. They are sparse throughout the eastern shores of the island, often being hunted by dilos. They are passive creatures that will not attack anything. If they are attacked, they will attempt to flee. They can often be seen in small colonies consisting of individuals of various ages.
- The dossier revealed on September 14, 2015.
- The Kairuku is the first creature in the game to have babies in the wild.
- Kairuku can be picked up by a Pteranodon (baby, juvenile, adolescent and adult).
- Since the v241, The best way to move them is to pick them up in your hands and toss them, but you can't hold a tool or weapons while doing so Kairuku are able to wear helmets like the Gigantopithecus and Mesopithecus.
Trivia not relevant for the game
- Kairuku's genus name means "diver who returns with food" in Māori.
- The Dossier states that hunting Kairukus is a practice called "Kairu Clubbing." This is most likely a satirical reference to seal clubbing (which is the hunting of baby seals for their pelts and blubber without them putting up a fight), because both animals are small, blubberous, and found in cold climates.
- Kairuku waitaki is the same name as the type species of genus Kairuku. All other animals in the game share only the generic name with their real-life counterparts.