|XP For Kill||2 XP|
|PC Release Date||December 1, 2015 (v226.0)|
|Incubation Range||26 - 31 °C / 79 - 88 °F|
|Incubation Time||1h 8m 10s|
|Baby Stage Time||2h 6m 15s|
Oviraptor Philodator is a small-to-medium sized carnivore, common in the jungles and beaches of the island. Despite being a carnivore, Oviraptor's primary source of food is eggs, which it steals from nests. Unlike any other creature, Oviraptor seems to be able to surreptitiously steal these eggs usually without attracting the attention of the irate mother. In an incredible feat of natural selection, Oviraptor seems to emit a chemical pheromone that affects many creatures as an aphrodisiac. Mated creatures are much more likely to... "create" new eggs while Oviraptor is around, which allows the oviraptor to go about its business unperturbed.
Too small to fight or ride, Oviraptor is still one of the more commonly tamed creatures on the island. Its pheromone release ensures an increased stream of eggs from nearby mated wild creatures, for breeding, eating, or cooking kibble. And Oviraptor will autonomously do the dirty work of collecting them on your behalf without attracting unwanted attention. They also make quite adorable sounds, so many children simply like to keep them as rather strange companions.
— The Dossier
The Oviraptor (Oh-vee-rahp-torr) is a small carnivorous dinosaur found on the Ark.
The Oviraptor is a small theropod that can often been spotted by survivors wandering across the island in search of its favorite food, eggs. It sports a crest on its head, presumably to attract mates, and a beak meant for cracking eggshells open to reach the nutritious contents within.
Very common through out the island, Oviraptor spends its days prancing around gleefully. Similarly to the Mesopithecus, the creature flees at a rather quick pace if one gets too close or if attacked.
- The dossier was revealed on July 31, 2015.
- It is possible to tame an Oviraptor with just Dodo Eggs; however, Taming Effectiveness will take a hit.
- Oviraptors collect eggs from unclaimed creatures left for slaughter, or did as of about a week ago from February 29th, 2016.
- Also it seems Oviraptors have an inate inability to walk through standard sized door frames. If you need it in a specific room, build a large stone gate or don't put the door in until the raptor is.
Trivia not relevant for the game
- Oviraptor means "egg thief" or "egg robber" in Latin. It got this name because the first fossils of Oviraptor were found on what was believed to be a nest of eggs belonging to the small ceratopsid Protoceratops. Discoveries in the 1990s revealed that these eggs in fact belonged to Oviraptor, meaning it had died while brooding its eggs and not trying to steal them as was originally thought.