|XP For Kill||18 XP|
|PC Release Date||October 6, 2015 (v218.0)|
|Favorite Kibble||Kibble (Rex Egg)|
|Saddle||Quetz Saddle (lvl 60)|
|Platform Saddle||Quetz Platform Saddle (lvl 80)|
|Incubation Range||5 - 6 °C / 41 - 43 °F|
|Incubation Time||16h 39m 55s|
|Baby Stage Time||18h 31m 6s|
From afar, it's hard to believe that Quetzalcoatlus is one of the largest avians on the island. It shares a similar silhouette with the Pteranodon, and nests near the absolute highest peaks. Upon closer inspection, though, Quetzalcoatlus is an enormous creature of tremendous power.
I find it strange that such a large, imposing beast would be so skittish. Unlike other creatures of its size, it is more likely to flee than fight. I suppose the decision to flee from any trouble keeps the species alive on an island with so many dangerous predators. But then how does it eat enough to sustain its massive size?
Tamed Quetzalcoatlus have a very specific role on the island. Too slow to be an efficient local transport, and too weak to be an effective warbird, the tribes I've encountered tend to employ it as a mass carrier. Quetzalcoatlus is primarily used by these masters of the skies to safely carry vast quantities of supplies, creatures, and human cargo from one base to another without tiring.
— The Dossier
The Quetzalcoatlus or Quetzal is a large carnivorous pterosaur found on the Ark.
Quetzalcoatlus is the largest flying animal yet found on the island. A gigantic, long-necked pterosaur, it dwarfs the much more common Pteranodon. These creatures are solitary and far-ranging, moving all across the island to roost and feed. They are carnivorous, feeding mainly on fish and small game taken from the ground. In addition, they scavenge.
The Quetzalcoatlus is constantly flying and flees if attacked. In casual flight, Quetzal tends to fly somewhat slowly. However, if startled, they can move at surprisingly fast speeds—comparable to that of a pteranodon's sprint—in an attempt to escape. After a few seconds it will stop and go to normal speed.
- Dung Beetle
- Terror Bird
- Thorny Dragon
- Woolly Rhino
- The dossier was revealed on June 17, 2015.
- Quetzalcoatlus conchapicem roughly translates to "Feathered lizard god that carries fish". This is a reference both to its name's origin as a Aztec god and to its in-game usage as a carrier as well as its diet of fish.
- It can carry up to 40 structures on its Platform Saddle (including windows, doors etc.).
- Unlike the Argentavis or Pteranodon, the Quetzal cannot angle upwards or downwards.
- Often attempts to travel to 50 latitude - 50 longitude (on both Center and Island maps) when you attempt to knock it out. This should have been fixed in 236.6 but it still seems the case.
Trivia not relevant for the game
- Similarly to the Pteranodon, the Quetzalcoatlus is classified as carnivorous, while in real-life it is thought it was almost exclusively piscvorous.
- In the real world, Quetzalcoatlus is the largest known flying animal of all time, and more recent estimates place its wingspan at 10–11 meters (33–36 ft).